Commercial Property Insurance: What Is It & What Does it Cover?
Getting a business back up and running after a catastrophic event is always challenging and could potentially be impossible. For example, FEMA reported that approximately 25% of companies fail to reopen after experiencing a natural disaster. Still, there are ways to mitigate losses through reimbursement strategies, such as investing in commercial property insurance.
Continue reading to learn more about our topic, how to find a commercial property insurance company, and other information vital to protecting your company should the unknown surface.
WHAT IS COMMERCIAL PROPERTY INSURANCE?
Defining commercial property insurance is the easiest way to understand it. Generally, people enroll to cover damage or destruction of their physical assets and property. For example, one could receive reimbursement for losses caused by a fire if the coverage includes it.
Some general liability insurance plans may have foundational commercial property coverage if stipulated in the underwriting. Still, a primary policy differs from supplemental coverage by offering more robust, custom conditions based on a personalized assessment.
Reviewing your business alongside a trusted insurance partner is the easiest way to acquire the best commercial property coverage. Doing so will reveal individualized needs.
If you need help assessing your business to get commercial property insurance, we invite you to contact us for a complimentary consultation.
WHAT DOES COMMERCIAL PROPERTY INSURANCE COVER?
It’s important to note that coverage depends on several factors, such as the value of your physical assets. Regardless, as professional insurance providers, we aim to provide payments to reopen a business ASAP and mitigate financial losses when needed most.
Depending on your plan and endorsements, this may mean covering everything inside or outside your company’s building, including the structure itself. This could include:
- Structural repairs and replacements
- An employee’s personal belongings
- Employee theft
- Furniture, computers, tools, and other equipment
- Inventory and packaging
- Vital documentation
- And other company property or repairs stipulated in the underwriting and endorsements
HOW MUCH DOES COMMERCIAL PROPERTY INSURANCE COST?
There isn’t a one-size-fits-all pricing strategy because the policy needs to be customized. Instead, commercial property insurance companies like ours invite business leaders to meet with an expert to ensure they have the necessary coverage fitting their needs.
During consultations, we generally structure pricing based on assessing the following elements:
- Property value and its construction
- Company assets
- The property’s location and its proximity to fire hydrants
- The industry
- And other custom needs based on associated risks
Working with an insurance specialist familiar with your industry is the best way to get a direct price quote.
HOW DO I GET COMMERCIAL PROPERTY INSURANCE?
Working closely with an experienced insurance professional who can help you navigate the complexities of commercial property insurance is the easiest way to find the best coverage.
Generally, starting the process can be done by taking the steps below:
- Gather documentation: Collect all professional paperwork related to your business, including information on existing insurance, property valuations, and equity.
- Understand your needs: Assess your property and its equity. Write down a list of risks associated with your location, such as the potential for flooding, vandalism, fires, and anything else that simplifies an assessment.
- Consult with an insurance provider: Schedule a one-on-one meeting with an insurance expert specializing in commercial property insurance. They’ll help you understand the underwriting, offer insight into which coverage is best, and provide other information that could help lower your premiums.
At JD Fulwiler & Company Insurance, our decades of experience mean we have the expertise to find the right insurance solution tailored to your industry. Connect with us today and discover the difference having the right insurance partner can make to your business.